Preparing to Sell
Knowing when to sell a property is difficult. Buying can be emotional and spontaneous, but selling is typically a mix of opportunity and necessity. The informed and thoughtful seller can benefit by some simple steps of preparation.
The first thing to do is to ask some simple questions.
- Is this the right time for you to sell?
- When is the best time of year to list and sell a home on Hilton Head Island (or nearby)?
- What can I do to improve my chances of selling quickly and for my asking price?
- Should I “stage” my property?
- What are buyers looking for when they are house hunting?
Let’s take them one at a time.
Is this the right time for you to sell? The current national economy and real estate market is challenging. If you’re considering selling your current property, you’ll need to determine if similar or comparable properties are selling, and if there’s any particular trend — up or down — in home prices. The choice about when to sell is a personal one, but being informed will help you decide about selling now or waiting.
When is the best time of year to list and sell a home on Hilton Head Island (or nearby)? Because of the terrific climate of Hilton Head Island and the surrounding areas we can recommend year round starts to listing your Hilton Head property. If you’d like to have your property available as visitors begin to arrive in numbers, you’ll want your property listed, with the Dunes Marketing Group, early in the calendar year (but it’s never too late!).
What can I do to improve my chances of selling quickly and for my asking price? There are a number of things that you can do to get a quick sell at top dollar.
- List at the right price. Pricing dictates who will look at your property. If you list too low, you’ll miss out on the premium shoppers. If you list too high, you’ll group your property with other listings that may offer more for the money. Getting pricing right is one of the most important initial listing steps.
Show your property in its best light. You know the charms of your Hilton Head home. But others may not be able to easily see them. You’ll need to do everything you can you can to let first time visitors see how special your home is.
Tip: Before you list your property, team up with a Dunes Marketing Group Realtor and tour several other similar properties. Then immediately go back to your property and tour it the same way. Make notes of everything that now leaps out to you. You’ll be surprised at what you see with fresh eyes.
- List with the right company. This can make all of the difference. Hilton Head Island has a very competitive real estate market. You’ll want a company that actively promotes and markets your property and makes sure that it’s seen by the best matching house hunters. We believe you’ll find that the Dunes Marketing Group is the best match for you and your property.
Should I “stage” my property? In a word, yes. When house hunters see your home for the first time, you’ll want them to be surprised and amazed. Pleasantly. That will mean that everything is carefree. The exterior and landscaping should be fresh and well maintained. Your interior should show no flaws and be completely uncluttered. You may want to remove all of your personal items, reduce the number of items, furniture, and accessories, to present a clean and tasteful, but not overly specific or personal design statement. All of the little annoyances that you put up with in your home should be repaired, painted, or replaced. When you get to the point where you say, “Why am I selling this place? It looks terrific!” you’ll know you’re ready for showing your home to house hunters and homebuyers.
What are buyers looking for when they are house hunting? When people are house hunting on Hilton Head they are participating in a dream. They want something special, a place they’ve dreamed of, maybe for years. More often than not they are NOT looking for an opportunity to fix and repair. Your Dunes Marketing Group Realtor will bring you the Hilton Head Island house hunters that best fit your property. You just have to make your home a part of their dream. Remove or repair everything that might make someone hesitate. Try and remember what made you decide to buy this place. And make it easy for someone else to fall in love, too.